Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find out if I am eligible to apply?

Please contact Idesi Legal for a free consultation.

Why should I use an immigration lawyer?

If you wish to make an application for a visa to New Zealand, you do not have to use an immigration lawyer. Immigration New Zealand is generally quite accessible, and you can make a visa application directly to the agency.

However, immigration policies can be complex, difficult to follow and some rules can be quite ambiguous.

As experienced immigration lawyers, we have a wealth of knowledge across all visa categories.

We understand that immigration is a stressful and time-consuming process and we always offer straightforward, honest advice on how to get residency in New Zealand.

We can assess your likelihood of obtaining a visa, help put together a strong application, and liaise with Immigration New Zealand on your behalf to save you time, money, and stress.

How long will my New Zealand visa application take?

The length of time it takes to make a decision on your visa application will depend on a number of factors, including the type of application, the Immigration New Zealand office where it is assessed, and the level of verification required.

We can give you an estimate of the time it could take to process your visa application once we’ve assessed your situation.

Can IDESI LEGAL get me a job in New Zealand?

IDESI LEGAL can provide you with contacts to reputable employment agencies in New Zealand that may be able to help you find a job. We cannot, however, find you employment in New Zealand.

Will the immigration authorities help me prepare my visa application and ensure everything is correct?

No. Immigration authorities exist to enforce the immigration law, make decisions on residence applications and to issue residence visas.

Immigration authorities or embassies are not there to help you prepare your application and make sure that everything is correct before you apply.

Immigration officers often manage hundreds of applications at once; they are busy people. The onus is on you; it is your responsibility to prove to your immigration officer that you meet the criteria for the visa you are applying for. The officers may be approachable, but it is not really their job to help you through the application process.

Although basic information and application forms are available, the authorities are unable to provide independent advice and personalised guidance on your specific case. A qualified immigration lawyer can provide this kind of service.

Can the New Zealand immigration authorities refuse my visa, citizenship or residency application?

Yes. A surprisingly large number of applicants are unaware how strictly NZ immigration regulations are enforced. Visa and residency or citizenship applications are often unnecessarily refused or delayed due to technical errors, or because applicants have submitted the wrong supporting documentation.

Save yourself time, money and stress by seeking the professional guidance and the independent advice of a qualified, experienced immigration lawyer before lodging an application.

Immigration lawyers exist to help you find the best way through the immigration maze; they know how to get residency in New Zealand.

My immigration lawyer has assessed me as being eligible for residence in New Zealand. If I apply without his or her help, can I be certain of success?

No. Although you may qualify for a visa or New Zealand residence under current New Zealand immigration policy, you are by no means guaranteed of success.

To be approved, your visa or residency application must be prepared in accordance with the prevailing immigration regulations and submitted together with the appropriate supporting documentation. The ways to do this are not always clearly set out by the immigration authorities; many applicants present their cases incorrectly and are refused a visa or residency on technical grounds.

Give yourself the best possible chance of residency in New Zealand by getting the assistance of an immigration lawyer for the entire visa or residency application process.

Is there a charge for consulting with Idesi Legal?

Your initial consultation is free. However any further work or consultations will be subject to being charged.

Are Idesi Legal Immigration Lawyers or Immigration advisors?

We are Immigration Lawyers.

Can I apply for refugee status?

We are a legally aided law firm for refugee matters. However you must be in New Zealand to lodge a refugee claim. You cannot apply for asylum or refugee status from outside New Zealand.

I have an offence on my record what should I do?

You may be under an obligation to report it to Immigration New Zealand. Contact Idesi Legal immediately. 

I have been issued with a letter by Immigration New Zealand – what do I do?

It is important that a comprehensive response is provided by the due date. Please contact Idesi Legal immediately. 

I have been issued with a Deportation Liability Questionnaire – what do I do?

It is very important to pay attention and provide the most comprehensive response. Simply answering the questions is not enough. Contact Idesi Legal immediately.

What documents do I need for my application?

Idesi Legal will identify the documents you need once you have engaged us in your matter. As part of any application process – Idesi Legal will provide you with a comprehensive list of documents needed.

If I had a discharge without conviction – will INZ still PPI me?

Yes INZ can still issue you with a PPI letter.

What if I have health issues?

Immigration New Zealand will do an assessment to see if you are of an acceptable standard of health. If you have concerns please contact Idesi Legal.

If I’m applying as part of a family – if a family member has health or character issues will it affect the application?

Contact Idesi Legal immediately for a further consultation.

What is a PPI?

When Immigration has a concern about your application, your character or your health, INZ will issue you a ‘Potentially Prejudicial Information’ Letter. This letter gives you the opportunity to respond to these concerns. These letters have a due date and need to be responded to urgently. Please Idesi Legal if you have received such a letter.

What is s61?

s61 of the Immigration Act 2009 allows for Immigration New Zealand to issue a visa to someone who is unlawfully in New Zealand. Making requests under s61 is a difficult process and Immigration New Zealand does not always issue visas under s61. If you are unlawfully in New Zealand please contact Idesi Legal to discuss your options.

Can I do a ministerial myself?

Yes, however, keep in mind that if you do it yourself, there is only one chance to do a ministerial properly unless there is further evidence.

Can I get Legal Aid for Immigration matters?

Yes, for Deportation Residence. For all other matters no.

Can you act for me if I’m not in Auckland or Wellington?

Yes we can. We do our business over Microsoft Teams and you can have a consultation from anywhere in the world. We will send you a Microsoft Teams link, you won’t have to download anything. 

Call 09 283 0157 for help with how to get residency in New Zealand. IDESI LEGAL provides support with permanent residence visas, family visas, work visas, business visas, skilled migrant visas, refugee & asylum visas and visitor visas.

Start typing and press Enter to search