Important Dates for your Diary
13 May 2021
In Immigration Law there are a number of important dates that you should take note of – particularly if you are an employer, on a work visa or attempting to come to New Zealand from off-shore.
30 June 2021 – Employers – old accreditation system ending
On 30 June – the following schemes are ending.
- Accredited Employer (Talent – Accredited Employer)
- Labour Hire Accreditation (Essential Skills)
- Approval in Principle (Essential Skills) – this does not include approval in principle for other policies including AIP for foreign crew of fishing vessels.
As part of the transition to the new Accreditation System for employers, the above schemes which are part of the Labour Market test are being abolished. Employers will be able to use their current accreditation or Approval in Principle up until 30 June 2021.
06 August 2021 – Offshore Visas suspended
In August 2020 – work, student, visitor and limited visas where the person is offshore were suspended until 07 May 2021. This suspension has now been extended until 06 August 2021.
Whether the suspension will continue after 06 August 2021 it will depend on Government policy, the progress of vaccination and further developments in the Covid Pandemic.
Late September 2021
The new employer accreditation scheme will be opened to allow employers to become accredited in time for the 01 November 2021 start date. Limited details are currently available and further information will be posted in this blog.
31 October 2021 – Work Visa Holders
6 work Visas will be abolished on this day. 31 October 2021 will be the last day in which you can make an application for the following visas:
- Essential Skills Work Visa
- Essential Skills Work Visa — approved in principle
- Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa
- Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa
- Silver Fern Job Search Visa (closed 7 October 2019)
- Silver Fern Practical Experience Visa.
These visas will be replaced by the single work visa.
01 November 2021 – Employers and Workers
The new single work visa (Accredited Employer Work Visa) will be starting. The new work visa will be a three check process with –
- employer check (employers will need to apply to INZ for accreditation),
- Job Check (to confirm the job pays the market rate, the terms and conditions comply with NZ employment laws, and a Labour Market test is needed).
- Migrant worker check – the visa application.
If you have any queries about your upcoming work visa or how much you are getting paid in your job currently, please contact Idesi Legal.